Rural doctors awarded in 2019 for long-standing service to rural NSW
2nd December 2019
Twenty outstanding GPs have been honoured for more than 700 years of combined service to rural New South Wales communities.
NSW Rural Doctors Network (RDN) presented its prestigious 2019 Rural Medical Service Award during its annual conference at the Novotel Sydney Manly Pacific on the weekend.
The award recognises GPs who have spent the past 35 years or more providing health care to the people of remote, rural and regional NSW.
Twelve of the 20 doctors receiving the Award were present at the Rural GPs Conference dinner:
- Dr Maxine Percival for 35 years of service to Tamworth, Moree and Maclean
- Dr John Brown for 40 years of service to Mudgee and Narooma
- Dr Paul Foster for 35 years of service to Nambucca Heads
- Dr Noel Morrison for 40 years of service to Ballina and Lismore
- Dr Phillipa Gibian for 35 years of service to Glenorie
- Dr Rick Aitken for 35 years of service to Orange, Culburra Beach, Dubbo, Millthorpe, Moss Vale and Bundanoon
- Dr Peter Searson for 41 years of service to Laurieton, Goulburn and Port Macquarie
- Dr Andrew Terrey for 35 years of service to Grafton
- Dr Susanne Storrier for 38 years of service to Goulburn
- Dr Joseph McMahon for 37 years of service to Port Macquarie
- Dr David Malikoff for 38 years of service to Port Macquarie
- Dr Geraldine Duncan for 38 years of service to Wagga Wagga.
In addition, Dr Paul Falk of Wagga Wagga, Camden and Goulburn, who passed away in March 2019, received the Award posthumously and was represented by his wife Catherine and three children Andrew, Sarah and Claire.
RDN CEO Richard Colbran said it was a privilege to honour these 20 doctors for serving their communities for more than 35 years.
“The GPs are often shocked to be awarded for a job they consider a privilege,” Mr Colbran said.
“The Award celebrates the contributions of these humble rural GPs to their communities and is a proud moment for them to share with family, friends and colleagues.”
The dinner presentation was attended by more than 200 guests, comprising GPs from across remote, rural and regional NSW, the award recipients and their families.
L-R top row: Dr Andrew Terrey from Grafton, Dr Rick Aitken from Moss Vale and Bundanoon, Dr John Brown from Narooma, Dr Maxine Percival from Maclean, Dr Noel Morrison from Ballina.
L-R bottom row: Dr Geraldine Duncan from Wagga Wagga, Dr Susanne Storrier from Goulburn,Catherine Falk accepting the award on behalf of the late Dr Paul Falk from Goulburn, Dr David Malikoff from Port Macquarie, Dr Peter Searson from Port Macquarie, Dr Joseph McMahon from Port Macquarie, and Dr Phillipa Gibian from Glenorie.
Not pictured: Dr John Bradshaw from Grafton, Dr David Goldberg from Vincentia, Dr Else De Wit from Lavington, Dr Christopher Greenway from Ballina, Dr Joseph Hall from Inverell, Dr Adrian Kay from Albury, Dr Nigel Bacon from Grafton.