Outreach Student Placement Program
About the program
The Outreach Student Placement Program provides up to 50 selected medical, nursing and allied health students in NSW/ACT with the opportunity to shadow an Outreach provider in a rural or remote community. Available Outreach providers include obstetricians, cardiologists, nurses, optometrists and many more across other disciplines. All travel, accommodation and subsistence costs will be covered for these placements.
Placement locations and durations may differ each year due to the involvement of different Outreach providers. In 2019, the placements must be undertaken before 30 June.
Please find a list of Outreach Providers that are participating in the 2019 program. You may submit your preferences for outreach placements when you apply.
Applicants must demonstrate:
- an interest in rural practice and lifestyle;
- an understanding of the realities of rural health; and
- the motivation to undertake a placement in a rural area as part of the scheme.
Students not honouring their commitment to undertake a rural placement are required to pay back all money granted for the placement.
Who is eligible?
Rural and urban students are eligible to apply for the program.
- be Australian or New Zealand citizens or permanent residents of Australia
- have completed all university study requirements at the time of application and demonstrate this by provision of proof of enrolment
- be a medical, nursing or allied health student studying in NSW or have completed Year 12 in a NSW high school
- be able to complete the placement before 30 June 2019.
How do I apply?
To apply you will need to:
- set up a MyRDN account
- collect your supporting documentation
- submit your application via the MyRDN portal.
Applications must include a one-minute video addressing this question:
‘Tell us a bit about yourself and let us know what you hope to gain from the Outreach Student Placement Program’.
Please film your video in landscape mode. A standard video shot on a phone or computer camera is acceptable.
Once you have filmed your video, please upload it to YouTube as an unlisted video. Note: An unlisted YouTube video is a different type of private video. Only people who you provide the link to are able to view it. The video will not appear in any of YouTube’s spaces.
If you do not already have a YouTube account, you will need to create one by clicking ‘Create Account’. If you have a Gmail account, you will already have a YouTube account and can log in with your standard Gmail email address.
To upload your video:
- Log in to YouTube
- At the top of the page, click
- Select Upload video
- Select the video to be uploaded as ‘Unlisted’
- Click and select the video you would like to upload
- While the video is uploading, you are able to edit the name and description of the video
- Copy the video URL and include it in your online application.
If you have any questions about this process, please call 02 4924 8000 during business hours or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be open from 10 April 2019 until 5pm 23 April 2019.
Find out more
Email email@example.com if you have any questions.