Apply to Work as a Rural GP
NSW Rural Doctors Network (RDN) provides tailored recruitment support to eligible doctors working, or seeking work, as General Practitioners (GPs) in Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services (ACCHSs) and in rural and remote locations across NSW.
Our support, which is all free of charge, includes:
- access to the largest database of current GP vacancies in rural NSW
- an assessment of your eligibility, skills, experience and goals to connect you to the practice that best suits you
- access to workforce programs administered by RDN including the More Doctors for Rural Australia Program (MDRAP) and the Five Year Overseas Trained Doctors Scheme, which can reduce the ten-year moratorium to as little as three years
- access to grants for site visits, relocation, education and training, practitioner wellbeing, partner education, family support and RDN annual conferences for eligible doctors
- guidance on the registration process for International Medical Graduates
- advice and guidance on relevant workforce programs and legislation
- facilitation of provider numbers for eligible doctors
- face-to-face education for doctors new to general practice, through the New Rural GP Orientation Program
- access to GP Locum vacancies and support for short-term placements
- welcome kits upon starting a new role, connecting you with information, services and networks
- ongoing post-placement support for you and your family.
RDN is a not-for-profit organisation. Our services are delivered in partnership and with support from the Australian Government Department of Health (DoH), the NSW Ministry of Health (MoH) and various community organisations. Recruitment support services are funded and subsequently provided free of charge. Some additional services may attract a fee where necessary.
Lodging an assessment application
To lodge an assessment application for our team to review your experience and suitability for working in rural general practice, proceed to My RDN to register a new My RDN user account, create a username and password then proceed to the General Practice Assessment Form.
Once you have completed your application you will be contacted by the Medical Recruitment team for feedback and guidance.
Learn more about the services and support we provide to doctors working in rural NSW during the recruitment and employment stages, and about registration requirements, visa options and Medicare.