5 Year OTD Scheme
The Five Year Overseas Trained Doctor (OTD) Recruitment Scheme (also known as the 5 Year Scheme) provides incentives for OTDs to work in some of Australia's smaller rural communities.
Please note: From 1 July 2010, OTDs are limited to where they can work by Medicare Provider Number restrictions for a period of between five and ten years depending on the ASGC-RA (Remoteness Area) classification of their primary location of medical practice.
By participating in the 5 Year Scheme and committing to work in remote locations in New South Wales (NSW), OTDs may reduce this time restriction to as little as three years.
To gain the benefits of the 5 Year Scheme, applicants must be willing and able to:
- Complete the required term of service in a location deemed eligible for the Scheme; and
- Attain Fellowship of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) or Fellowship of the Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine (ACRRM); and
- Attain permanent residency of Australia and/or Australian citizenship.
For more information, please email the RDN Retention Officer or call RDN on 02 4924 8000.
Also, please refer to the following documentation:
- 5 Year Scheme Fact Sheet
- 5 Year Scheme eligible locations - 2017
- 5 Year Scheme Administrative Guidelines (Australian Government Department of Health).