New Rural GP Orientation Program
What is the New Rural GP Orientation (NGPO) Program?
The NGPO Program is funded by NSW Health and is for all GPs who are new to rural NSW practice, including Overseas Trained Doctors (OTDs).
The two-day introduction to rural general practice is considered valuable preparation for transition into rural NSW medical practice and supports GPs in delivering high quality medical services to rural NSW communities.
What does the Program cover?
Program content includes:
- professional orientation - an overview of General Practice in rural NSW, introduction to NSW Ministry of Health, navigating Medicare, Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, cultural awareness, accessing GP support, pathways to Fellowship and exam preparation, professional and ethical responsibilities
- clinical orientation - emergency medicine, introduction to sexual health/family planning, introduction to mental health, introduction to Indigenous health to identify and work with Aboriginal people in a culturally safe and apprpriate way, managing workplace illness or injury cases
- social orientation - achieving work/life balance.
Who should attend?
The NGPO course is suitable for medical practitioners who are:
- doctors new to Australian rural general practice
- overseas trained doctors working towards, or who have recently (in the last six months) begun to practice in an RA 2-5 location in rural NSW
- medical practitioners who have passed a PESCI and are waiting to begin practice in an RA 2-5 location in rural NSW
- medical practitioners who will undertake a PESCI within 3-6 months for a GP role in an RA 2-5 location in rural NSW.
What does it cost?
RDN will cover all program, catering and venue costs. You will need to book and pay for your own travel and accommodation. You may be eligible for a travel and accommodation subsidy of up to $1,000 (claimable on completion of the course).
When is the next Program?
- 7-8 June 2018 in Orange, NSW, at Central Caleula Motor Lodge, 60 Summer Street Orange
- 13-14 September 2018 in Sydney, NSW
For more information about the program, dates and locations, please email the Workforce Development team or call RDN on 02 4924 8000.