Apply to Work as a Rural GP
Before applying to RDN for recruitment support, it is important that you understand the requirements for working as a medical practitioner in Australia. Please refer to the following links for information that’s relevant to your situation.
- Essential reading for all medical practitioners:
Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Authority requirements for registration
Australian Medical Board requirements for registration.
- Essential reading for Australian and New Zealand Graduates only.
- Essential reading for Overseas Trained Doctors only.
Apply for RDN recruitment support
Already medically registered in Australia?
- You may be eligible for RDN recruitment support.
- Proceed to My RDN to register a new My RDN user account; create a username and password then proceed to the General Practice Assessment Form.
- Once you have completed your application you will be contacted by the Medical Recruitment team.
Not yet medically registered in Australia?
- Review the Pathways to Medical Registration information, which outlines the Medical Board of Australia’s different types of medical registration pathways.
- If you have not yet obtained medical registration in Australia but you have overseas General Practice experience, you will need to obtain an assessment of your GP experience from the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP). RDN requires an assessment outcome before we are able to provide you with recruitment support. This process can take up to 3 months.
- If you have an RACGP assessment outcome of more than 2 years’ GP experience and an offer of employment, RDN may be able to assist you. You can contact practices directly via our current vacancies page. Once you have an offer of employment, please proceed to My RDN to register a new My RDN user account (create a username and password) and proceed to the General Practice Assessment Form. Once you have completed your application, you will be contacted by the Medical Recruitment team.
- If you do not have medical registration in Australia and you do not have an RACGP Assessment outcome of more than 2 years’ GP experience, you do not meet the minimum requirements for working as a GP in NSW. However, you may meet the requirements for working as a medical practitioner in the hospital system. Please refer to the latest NSW Health vacancies.
Please refer to Important Information for further information relating to working as a GP in NSW.